The greatest factor by far in Montana’s high workplace injury costs is our work injury rate. Across our state, we injure more people in a wider variety of occupations than do other states. The only solution to this problem is to instill a culture of safety in every workplace. That begins with a tailored safety program. The most successful programs have the following.
Our custom, online tool will help you create a safety program tailored to your industry and number of employees. It only takes about 20 minutes, and you’ll have a plan you can implement in your workplace today and update easily over time. Please have the following handy:
- Structured Safety Orientation —The safest workplaces stress the importance of safety beginning with an employee’s first day. Orientations include informing employees of their rights, walking them through your safety program and talking about what to do in the event of an injury.
- Open Communication — Create a culture where employees are encouraged to raise questions about safety and pursue safer ways of accomplishing their work. Clearly spell out all safety procedures, as well as procedures for incident reporting and Stay at Work/Return to Work programs.
- A Management that Values Safety — If you clearly value safety, your employees will too. Create an employee-led safety committee, include safety topics in management meetings, reward employees for safety, hold employees who work unsafely accountable and make safety part of performance reviews. If something is unsafe, change it. Savings down the road will outweigh the cost.
- Business name, address and contact information.
- Number of employees.
- Your industry SIC/NAIC code.